Mark (Berkl) and Ada (Chajke) Stone

My parents Mark (Beryl) and  Ada (Chajke) Newman Stone were both born in Belicze. Lithuania - my father on the last day of Passover in 1914 and my mother on the last day of Chanukah in 1920.  Each parent came from a family of seven children. By the war’s end, Beryl was the only survivor of his family while in Ada’s family three sisters and one brother survived in addition to Ada.

Both parents were members of Zionist youth groups. My mother belonged to the Shomer Hatzair, while my father, an ardent follower of Ze'ev Jabotinsky, was very involved in the Betar movement. Education was very important to my parents. My father  attended Etz Chaim Yeshiva in Vilna and from there went on to the gymnasium and later to the university.

The war brought my parents together. They met and fell in love in the woods where their families, along with other Jewish families from Belicze, were hiding from the Nazis. They got married in the woods and joined a partisan group with whom they remained until the Russian army liberated them in 1944. But the war had not ended. As a "favor" they sent my dad to Siberia. It was either that or joining the Russian army moving west. My mother went back to her family's home in Belicze and waited for him. Eventually, my father was sent to Moscow to teach. He escaped from Russia when he heard rumors that the borders would soon be closing.
Returning to Belicze, my dad found my mom, her sister Faye and his baby daughter Phyllis, who was born on liberation day. The family traveled to Cremona, Italy, by foot and train, where they waited until they received papers and boat fare to come to America. All the Newman brothers had chipped in to bring their niece and her family to a new beginning. Ada’s other surviving sisters had gone to what was then Palestine: Libke made Aliyah in 1930 and Dina followed her in 1934.

My parents reached America on December, 1950. My mother, who was a Newman, had family in Brooklyn and Rochester. Her Uncle Daniel and Aunt Sara Newman arranged for the family to share an apartment with her sister Fay and her family. When the Newmans of Rochester heard that survivors had arrived, they sent Itche Newman as the family representative  to see them. At  the end of  the visit, Itche asked if they would be interested  in coming to live in Rochester. My father, who hated the noise of NY, asked if it was a quiet city. When told yes, my parents agreed to come. Itche went back to Rochester and arranged jobs for my parents. My father started out as an electrical mechanic assistant, working his way up to master electrician, and was one of only three Jews who belonged to the Electrical Union. My mom worked as a seamstress at Hickey Freeman. Their first apartment was on Radio St. From there they moved to Laburnum Crescent, and then onto Crandon Way in Brighton. They belonged to the Beth Sholom Synagogue.

I was born in Rochester in 1954. I married Dov Green and in 1984 and later moved to Israel. We have four children, as does my sister Phyllis, who married Al Saunders and lives in Somerset, N.J. My parents were positive, sweet people who were always hosting and caring not only for the family but also for their friends. Sunday was my dad’s fix-it day, not so much for us, but for whomever in the family needed electrical work. They believed that all immigrants should respect America, because America had given them a start fresh. They came and found jobs, built homes, made a living and produced families.

But their hearts belonged to Israel, their true love. Unfortunately, my father passed  away on November  28, 1999, before they could both move to Israel.. But my mom came to live in Hashmonaim surrounded by her grandchildren, Ben-Zion, Zeev, Nechemya, and Peninnah, until she passed away on February 28, 2009.
Devotion is a word that sums up my parents. Devotion to each other, to family and to Klal Yisrael, They are sorely missed.

Biography written by: Barbara Stone Green, daughter